Thursday, August 6, 2015

Day 52

Day 52; Miller South Dakota to Sturgis South Dakota

Hello there! I can't believe it, but we made it to Sturgis today! For some reason, I remember getting to Sturgis a lot faster last year. Must be the last 42 states that I skipped in 2014... Let's start from the beginning of my day.

We got up, broke down camp, and had yogurt for breakfast. Then we got some pictures of the lake we camped next to on our way out. We did a little bit of backtracking because we desperately needed gas. Then we headed out on highway 14 which would take us directly toward Sturgis. By now you should realize that nothing we plan turns out the way we plan it. There was a ton of construction, so they had set up a detour. The detour never took us back to 14... We ended up going through an Indian reservation instead, but eventually meet up with my mom's cousin JR.

We coordinated with JR to meet at a gas station not far from the badlands. We got there slightly before he did, so we made lunch there on the sidewalk. When he arrived, we all took off through the national park. If you don't know what the badlands are, you should definately look into them! It's like a miniature mountain range, and looks awesome. It's one of my favorite national parks in the country. We rode through them (stopping occasionally for pictures) and out the other side in the city of Wall.

Wall is the home of Wall Drug. It is a huge store/attraction for people all over the country. (They have a life size Jackalope that you can sit on for photos!). A Jackalope is a cross between a jack rabbit and an antelope (think giant rabbit with antlers). We got ice cream there and then continued on to Sturgis.

We got in and set up camp just in time to make dinner in the rain. My cousin Clayton and his friend Jay met us at our campsite for dinner. The only catch was that we all had to eat outside in a thunderstorm (it's like we take normal processes and make them extreme). The six of us huddle behind someone's trailer for some protection from the wind and rain while we ate.

Everyone else went to a concert,  but I really didn't feel like getting more wet, so I cuddled up in my sleeping bag for the night. I probably need the sleep for tomorrow anyway if I can get to sleep. The concert is so loud that I can hear it perfectly clear from my tent.

Bye now, LB

No comments:

Post a Comment