Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Day 10

Day 10; Cooper Texas to Winfield Luisiana

Surprise! Another hot day. My father and I woke up with wet tents because we had been sweating all night long. That, combined with my water bottle leaking,  caused me to wake up a few times throughout the night lying in a puddle. Both of us got up around 6 this morning and packed up camp to get out and on the road. I had a little bit of maintenance to take care of while my dad paid for our campsite (Lake Cooper National Park). The park attendants didn't have ice for us to buy (for the cooler and our water bottles), but they suggested going to a bait shop just down the road.

Sure enough the bait shop had ice. I was unloading a bunch of stuff to be able to get to the ice while dad went to buy it (as usual). As we were filling our cooler and camelbacks with ice, a lady came out and asked us if we got our water. I was confused because we came to get ice... Turns out all bikers who go there get a free bottle of water! I don't know if it was southern hospitality or a love for motorcycles that drove this woman, but ice cold water will always be welcomed on a trip such as this one.

After the bait shop, we headed out of town on highway 24 to Paris! (Texas version) It's not as romantic as I thought it would be. Then we cought highway 82 heading east.

That has to be the worst marked highway that I have ever been on! Every time we came up to an intersection it was like playing where's Waldo. We turned the direction we thought we should go (based on the sun's position) and then saw the signs confirming we took the correct route (most of the time).

We had to take part of interstate 30 today as well. Usually we try to avoid interstates, but we had no choice. That made today a little stressful because my dad almost had a problem. Before I start the story,  I need to tell you that he has two bells on his bike (one for him, and one for my mom) that symbolize biking angels (never ride faster than they can fly). Now back to the story... We were stuck behind a semi that was moving pretty slowly (comparatively), so my dad decided to pass. As he started moving out from behind the truck, I saw something in the road... Then I saw the bike jump, and a huge chunk of tire rolling across the road. My dad had run over the remnants of a semi blow out.  Luckily he kept his rubber side down. I'm pretty sure he used both of those angels today. Both bells took a hit,  but my dad didn't, and for that, I am very grateful!

We went through Elderado, took a quick nap (woke up sweating), and took 167 south all the way to Winfield. As we filled up our tanks, a storm started coming toward us. Not wanting to cook in the rain, we decided to get some pizza and wait out the storm. Unfortunately the storm only got worse, and the weeks started picking up. Riding in the rain is easy; riding in the wind is easy, but riding in both when you can hardly see is stupid. We stopped at the first place we saw (an econolodge) and got a room.

10 states down, 40 to go! Dad just took a shower, and now it's my turn! (From Louisiana) Goodnight y'all!

Much love,  LB

No comments:

Post a Comment