Sunday, June 21, 2015

Day 5

Day 5; Las Vegas to Bryce Canyon; 279 miles; 5 hours 45 minutes

Last night it was so hot that I didn't even take my sleeping bag out of its stuff sack. I woke up sweating and the day only got hotter. Fortunately, we had to buy a ten pound bag of ice to fill up the cooler and our water bottles. We didn't have enough space to put all the ice, so my dad put some in a bag and handed it to me. I was going to put it in my bag next to my water to keep it cold when I had an ah hah moment (drum roll please).... put the ice on me to keep me cool!!! I then shoved a quart of ice inside my vest on my stomach and I was cool as a cucumber as long as I had my ice pack.

The first part of the day's ride was beautiful winding roads with amazing scenery! Then we hit some of interstate 15 on our way to Zion National Park. We ran into some traffic due to construction; my bike overheated and shut down. We sat on the side of the road for close to twenty minutes waiting for the motorcycle to cool down. When it did, we took off again.

Riding through Zion was a little time consuming, but so worth it! The rock formations there are absolutely incredible! We have a lot of video via gopros... At the end of Zion, we found two things that we had not seen much of the last few days. The first being grass. I guess it doesn't grow well in extreme heat... The second was shade! Caused by a tree!! We decided to lay down a while and relax, and relax we did. I'm not actually sure about the temperature, but I think it got down to 102 during our little break.

Now we are 20 miles outside of Bryce Canyon and I'm cuddled up in my sleeping bag because it's probably down to 60 degrees or lower. It's  supposed to be 50 degrees tonight :)

Much love, GK

No comments:

Post a Comment