Friday, June 26, 2015

Day 12

Day 12; New Orleans Louisiana to Panama City Florida

So there is something I forgot to mention yesterday. You know it's bad when you can dodge the bugs coming at you...because that means they are big enough to see while cruising 65 or 70 miles per hour. My father and I had been riding to New Orleans across a very rural part of the country. It was pretty warm again,  so I decided to lose my leather vest (leaving my upper body exposed).

Looking at burn piles and huge tractors occupied most of my time while riding until one moment... THUMP!!! What looked like the flying version of a cockroach smacked me in the chest so hard my dad heard it through our intercom system! I said ouch,  and my dad started laughing. As I told him what it was he started laughing so hard,  I thought he would fall off his motorcycle! Turns out he saw the bug coming toward him, over his windshield and heard it hit me. I was then on the lookout for more flying hazards.

Now for today's journey... We started out pretty early because we were parked in two hour parking overnight at the St. Pierre hotel (had to leave before the meter maids came around). We loaded up,  and took some video of the French Quarter before finding I10 where we spent most of our day. We rode through Mississippi and Alabama to get into Florida making stops only for gas and lunch. We ate or last bread rolls yesterday, so we had subway for a quick lunch in Alabama. (Gas was only $2.43 per gallon!).

We hit some traffic shortly after lunch due to a crash.  There was a semi off the road along with four other cars and a few emergency vehicles. I kept on turning my bike on and off to avoid overheating (worked like a charm). We ran into a few other traffic problems, but nothing serious. We took highway 90 to 98 in order to avoid the interstates.

We made it into camp pretty early today, so we decided to go swimming in the pool, take showers, and cook pasta with salmon for dinner. While cooking dinner, a large branch came crashing down from the trees landing a few feet away from our tent. Hopefully the tree next to us wants to hold on to the rest of its branches tonight. Now is time to go to sleep and I think it's hotter now than it was earlier today. Hopefully I can get some rest tonight (didn't sleep much last night).

Much love, LB

No comments:

Post a Comment