Monday, June 29, 2015

Day 15

Day 15; or day trip to Key West Florida (the deep south)

We started out our day with complimentary breakfast at our hotel :) We packed up just a few things to take with us. It's amazing how fast the motorcycles take off when you take a bunch of weight off! Today's directions were pretty simple, go south and then go more south until you hit the ocean.

To get there, you need to do key hopping. The highway on the south tip of Florida is over more ocean than it is ground. The original bridges are still standing, but have sections that were taken out to keep people off of them because they are old and frail. I had fun looking over the side of the road down into the water because it's so clear. Granted the water isn't deep there, I could see the ocean bottom and reefs. I also checked out all the mangrove trees growing out of the ocean.

Mangroves are interesting because they are one of the only plants in the world that can grow in the ocean. Normally salt kills plants, but mangroves have a purification system in their bark that keeps out the majority of the salt. Everything that gets through the bark is sent to a few leaves that die, and then fall off the tree taking the salt with them.

My dad and I got to key west and had lunch at Jimmy Buffet's restaurant, Margaritaville. The food was good, but it wasn't as good as the food in New Orleans. The margaritas on the other hand, were freaking delicious! (Best I've ever had). Dad had the house Margarita, and I got a guava one. Mmmmmmm!

I think the Margarita went to my dad's head because he got sucked into something terrible! I don't know how many of you know about Orogold, so I'll explain it a little bit. They sell products that make people look younger such as face creams, exfoliaters, and other things of that nature. One of the ladies workin there gave him a go bag, and then got him to sit down and got (I think of him a little differently now) an eye lift... I don't think he liked it very much, but I thought it was funny :)

I helped get him out of the store and then we headed to the southern most point in America. The line for getting a photo was ridiculously long so we took some photos from further away and now have random people in our pictures (like planned photo bombs), and I think we photo bombed a few people on accident. Oops...

We headed back to the hotel, made dinner and relaxed for a couple hours. Now we need to get some rest because we have a long day tomorrow. GIANTS GAME!!!!!

Much love, LB

No comments:

Post a Comment