Friday, July 3, 2015

Day 19

Day 19; Dillard GA to Lexington Virginia

Fried chicken and ham for breakfast, Rode through a storm, Hardee's for lunch, waited out the storm. Rode through part of it in a t shirt, went through north Carolina and Tennessee to get to Virginia, met cool biker dudes from Washington DC

You all know the morning drill by now. Got up, had fried chicken and ham for breakfast, and got on the road. Most of the morning we were racing a storm. We rode just ahead of it for most of the morning, only getting rained on a little bit. At least until the smokey mountain national forest. It got its name because of the hazy fog that comes from the conifer trees. The leaves release what's called terpenes that produce a dense fog that covers the mountains. We didn't get many photos because we were getting rained on throughout the mountain road. Then we got a little reprieve from the weather until lunch time.

When we stopped for lunch, we checked the radar to see how big the storm was. Radar wasn't promising and neither was the weather just outside of Hardee's. The rain was more like a down poor,(could have made good time on jet skis) so I came up with a little spin off an old song I know.

It's raining is pouring, we both should still be snoring... go the hell away, and don't come back another day. After singing this a few times the rain actually stopped. That's when I took off my rain coat to cool down. Of course it started raining again when we started down the road. I got pretty cold when my shirt got soaked, but I was determined to keep moving forward. It seemed like the rain clouds were trying to keep us wet because we always headed for the darkest grey clouds... I now know all 50 shades of grey and I haven't read the book or seen the movie!


Eventually we got out from under the rain clouds and hauled some serious butt to get to Lexington for the night. This is the most expensive motel 6 I have ever been to, but I'm glad we stopped here for the night. Just as we were finishing up moving all our stuff from the motorcycles to our room, a few more bikers showed up. We started chatting about our trip and their experiences on the road. We talked for a few hours and I had a few beers with them as we conversed.

Overall it was a wet, but good day of riding. The smokey mountains are a fun ride.

Much love, LB

No comments:

Post a Comment