Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Day 38, RIP Luther and Ellen

Day 38; DeForest Wisconsin to Lincoln Illinois

Where do we come from? Who makes us who we are? Our parents...siblings, friends, extended family? I am fortunate enough to have this opportunity to learn some of this for myself. A while back, my father and I went to Ellis Island. His grandparents came to America through that island, and today I met them for the first time in Grand View Cemetery. It got me thinking about my history. I wouldn't be here if it weren't for them, and even though I never got to talk to them or have been influenced by them personally; they are a huge part of my life. Now, Luther and Ellen Keller lay in a beautiful field with a view of hills, and a big sky.

If you don't know my father, he is the greatest man I could ever hope to be. He's level headed and rarely let's his emotions get the best of him, but today was a special occasion. His grandmother passed away when he was in high school, so he could not attend her funeral. He told me today, that he never got to say goodbye until now. I'm so happy he finally had the chance to see them in their final resting place. I let him have some time alone with them as I went into town to get some flowers.

Not having any place on the bike to carry them, I placed them (vase and all) in my vest, and rode slowly back to the cemetery to keep them nice. We placed them next to their headstone and visited for some time.

The rest of the day was of little importance, but it was a good ride with fair weather. We found a small campground with a swinging chair, and people playing music. Exhausted from the day, I fell asleep before dinner and woke up a few hours later. Hopefully I can get some sleep tonight, so I can be ready to go tomorrow.

RIP Luther and Ellen
Your great grandson, Gregg Keller

No comments:

Post a Comment