Friday, July 31, 2015

Day 47

Day 47; another day in Lee's Summit

As we all know, family is important. That's why I love seeing mine on this trip. If you didn't know, one of my cousins is deaf. I have always wanted to take an American sign language course, but it always conflicted with other classes. Problem? Not for my cousin Mary! Shortly after going upstairs this morning to visit, she grabbed a pen and paper and started writing. We spent the whole morning talking to each other (I think we wrote close to 15 pages).

She told me about her friends and family add I did the same with her. She asked about my parents (they had not arrived yet), my sister and nephew, and my brother. Then she asked about a game I was playing, so I taught her the basics and let her play around until it was time for me to head out.

I met my parents in Louisburg Kansas where my great great great grandparents are buried along with a few others from my family. My aunt told us all about it and how the McDowell family (mine from a long long time ago) owned 100 acres in that town and opened up an auto mechanic shop. That building is still standing and has been converted into the town's library. It still has a name plate high on the wall with the name McDowell on it. We are learning so much about our family on this trip!

Then we headed back to my cousin's house and hung out until it was time to gain some weight. We found a great BBQ place called Jacks stack here in town. I have to say, I like it better than Kansas City BBQ. Both my parents and I are still having fun visiting with family and friends, and are looking forward to the days ahead.

Bye now, LB

No comments:

Post a Comment