Saturday, July 4, 2015

Day 20

Day 20; Lexington WV to DC Maryland

We got up around 8 thinking we had plenty of time to get to DC, boy were we wrong! If we had taken the interstate, or ride would have been 3 to 4 hours. We took the path less traveled over the Blue Ridge Mountainsand through Shenandoah national park. It was 100 miles of beautiful scenery and winding roads! (Highly recommend this road) 

While riding I discovered a few things that had not fully occurred to me before... first of all, I no longer think Californians are the worst drivers. There was a 35 mph speed limit that many cars were struggling to go (I dislike slow drivers that don't use turnouts to let people pass). My dad and I may (or may not) have done some questionable maneuvers regarding the laws about passing. 

The second thing I discovered, is that the road signs with a squiggly arrow and a suggested speed on them don't really mean you need to slow down for the turns (at least for motorcyclists). What it means for motorcyclists is "fun road ahead, X number of miles". We hit a few of these and the new interpretation worked for every single one. 

There were so many overlooks throughout the day that it was difficult to choose one for lunch; however, I think we got the right one. As we ate our sandwiches, we looked out upon miles and miles of tree covered mountains with the clouds shading the ones further out. It was the perfect temperature with crisp mountain air after a rain storm. Then came yet another rain storm. 

We ran into some wet weather after lunch. It felt like we were riding through the clouds at first. The clouds got thicker and thicker until we were riding through a downpour. Luckily, as the day went on, the rain became lighterand eventually stopped altogether.

We are staying with one of my dad's college roommates and his wife for a couple nights as we roam around our nations capital, before continuing north toward New York. After getting into some dry clothes, my dad and I went to the reflecting pool (by the WWII monument) to see the fireworks show (it was awesome). Then we went back to the house and passed out. Our 3 to 4 hour dayn had become a 16 hour day and I was exhausted!

For those that are interested, we have now gone through 20 states in 20 days. Happy independence day, and God bless the USA!

Much love,  LB

No comments:

Post a Comment