Thursday, July 23, 2015

Day 39

Day 39; Lincoln Illinois to Mount Vernon Illinois by way of the St Louis Arch

Our original plan for today was to go check out the arch. We added on to that plan because our campground had some papers that showed interesting things about president Lincoln and the town. We rode to Lincoln's tomb (he has a huge memorial that was paid for by donations, $170,000). His body was kept in a temporary tomb while his final resting place was being built. Now it also contains other family members, and it is magnificent.

We also checked out the Vietnam and World War II memorials while we were in the cemetery. Then we took off to St Louis Missouri. We saw the arch as we crossed the bridge into Missouri, but we didn't go directly there. We found a place that had been on television for lunch called Pappy's. There was a huge line, but the ribs, brisket, and sausage made it worth the wait! Pappy's has won competitions and been named the country's best barbie que multiple times. I keep eating at these wonderful places and my stomach keeps getting larger... Anyway, this is when we finally headed to the arch.

We had to walk a little ways to get tickets for the tram to get to the top, and then walk to the arch from there. My boots were not made for waking and I almost got a blister on my foot. We got to the arch when I realized I had my knife in my pocket (we had to go through a metal detector). I put it in my bag and sent it through the scanner. Apparently knives don't count as weapons :) We went up to the top of the arch where we could see the whole city! The view from the top is amazing, and the ride up and down is pretty cool. (A little cramped, but cool).

We headed out of the city and back into Illinois to find a best buy. We bought some new toys today (waterproof Bluetooth speakers), so we can listen to music and talk on communicators at the same time. After that we headed back east to go to my dad's cousin's house. We will get there tomorrow. For tonight we got a motel and made pasta for dinner.  Now I'm exhausted and is time for bed.

Bye now, LB

No comments:

Post a Comment